Monday, November 23, 2009

Will the real musician please stand up!

Ok so to some of you this looks very confusing and like lines and dots...So let me break it down for you...



Ok, so this is a song for piano... the word "Lento" is Italian that is in the top corner of the screen means that this song is slow. It is in the key of Db Major.... the beginning has "pp" which is Italian for pianissimo, which means very soft.

Okay so I did that just to show you how difficult reading music could be...trust me there is a whollllleee lot more I could have went into...time signature, slurs, ties, clefs...all kinds of stuff.

Avery why are you saying this? Because I get upset when someone refuses to learn how to read music, or wants to call themselves a musician...just because you can play some notes and K Ci and Jo Jo songs does not make you a musician. Music is so beautiful and I think it is sooo disrespectful to not embrace ALL of it for what it truly is... A Universal Language... I could play in a band with a person from each country who all could read music, and we would all understand the music and details of it, without needing a single translator.

I just hate when people say Oh, you play piano? Me Too!!! NOOOOO Sir, I have been training since I was 5 years old, I am 21. This is not a hobby for me. It is nice to be able to read something someone wrote 400 years ago.

I want people to play my music when I die-My Goal. I want to write lots of music and I want to be remembered through my music... If you cannot read music how do you plan on writing it down and passing it down generation to generation... If you are going to do something, than DO IT all the way... One thing my Dad always said to me when I was little and growing up [WHICH I HATED] "Do not half do ANYTHING" that could have meant, cleaning my room, washing dishes, cutting grass, homework, and music...

Playing by ear is not enough, I learned how to do that at 13, Not only can I play by ear, but I can write it down for someone else to see, or orchestrate a whole orchestra with instruments from all over the world....

Im sorry if this offends anybody, but playing music by ear and thats it is stupid if you do not want to progress... All you will be able to do is play in some baptist church your WHOLE life, and if your lucky you might be allowed to direct the choir.

George Bernard Shaw born in 1856 said something that is so relevant to today... "Hell Is Full Of Musical Amateurs" ...read it again, that statement is sooo powerful.>>>> My interpretation is, Everyone can play music by ear if they want to... the amateurs never make it, there are SO MANY OF THEM... but the ones who hone their craft dont have to be in the company of amateurs....

As usual let me know what you all think

No comments:

Boomkack

You Boomkack, because your snatched... when some one tells you different you tell them there tacky... then you lean back, and keep it movin'